Looking to progress your in-house legal career with a global Oil & Gas Operator?
ConocoPhillips is the world’s largest independent E&P company based on production and proved reserves. Headquartered in Houston, Texas, ConocoPhillips had operations and activities in 17 countries, $69 billion of total assets, and approximately 11,200 employees as of June 30, 2018. Production excluding Libya averaged 1,216 MBOED for the six months ended June 30, 2018, and proved reserves were 5.0 billion BOE as of Dec. 31, 2017.
In Australia and Timor-Leste our exciting portfolio includes the Bayu-Undan gas-condensate field in the Timor Sea, Darwin LNG facility in the Northern Territory and Australia Pacific LNG facility in Queensland. We also have exploration and appraisal projects off northern Australia including the Greater Poseidon, Caldita-Barossa and Greater Sunrise fields.
An exciting and rare development opportunity has arisen at ConocoPhillips for a driven and motivated more junior level Legal Counsel to join our in-house legal team in Perth.
This permanent role, reporting to the Vice President Legal will be responsible for providing legal support for the full range of the Company’s upstream business activities with the Australian Business Unit – West.
You will work with staff from all areas of the organisation to ensure the Company complies with all applicable laws in meeting its business goals and objectives and that all contractual documents executed by the Company are consistent with Corporate policy and appropriate to protect the Company’s interests.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Ensure Company’s compliance with all statutory and legal requirements by advising management on Company legal liabilities
- Protect Company interests by representing its stand on legal and ethical issues to third parties
- Secure advice from the Company’s external counsel and monitor advice on all referred matters for quality, consistency, value and timeliness
- Ensure the Company’s proactive legal standing on all matters by monitoring legislative changes
- Negotiate and draft complex documentation for key areas of the Company’s operations
- Manage disputes and litigation with third parties
To be successful in this role, you will demonstrate the following experience and qualifications:
- Degree qualification in Law with appropriate professional Australian legal practice qualifications
- 5 to 7 years MAXIMUM post-qualification experience working in a commercial law firm or major international corporation.
- experience as an attorney in negotiation and drafting of high value and complex contractual agreements
- Ability to foster strong working relationships with a variety of key stakeholders
- Experience in the Oil & Gas industry or other major resource sectors will be an advantage
In return, ConocoPhillips offers a culture of collaboration, work life balance and support for individual career and professional development.
In order to be considered for this position you must complete the entire application process, which includes answering all pre-screening questions and providing your eSignature on or before the requisition closing date of the 19th of November.
ConocoPhillips is an equal opportunity employer.